Monday, June 9, 2008

Pressure Cooker -Healthy eating while saving time & money


Usually, in order to save time & energy and prevent using convenience foods (like "instant" rice, rice/pasta mixes, frozen dinners, etc), I plan ahead and cook in advance several things at once.

One evening this week, dh was jonesin' for "chinese" food. Needless to say, as I am exhausted by these last days of the school year, I had not planned any further ahead for the evening meal than thawing out precooked chicken. In addition, I had not prepared the usual container of precooked brown rice that we keep on hand in the fridge. I did not want to hold up dinner by having to wait the traditional 45 minutes to cook brown rice.

Then I remembered that using the pressure cooker can save time with brown rice. I dug out the pressure cooker and quickly researched cooking instructions. Indeed, the pressure cooker, cut the cooking time down 1/3. Using a pressure cooker, helps to retain nutrients sometimes lost while cooking with traditional methods. :)
Here are some helpful links about pressure cookers & recipes:
Dollar Stretcher
Presto (my brand)
Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Recipes
Fastcooking.ca

Also, check out Rocks In My Dryer blog which hosts the weekly, Works For Me Wednesday!

4 comments:

Britni said...

I've got a rice cooker that I use for rice and absolutely love it. It never burns the rice and cooks it much quicker.

Kirstin said...

I need a new rice cooker. We got one as a wedding gift 15 years ago and I've loved it. I would love a new one though.

marigold said...

I love rice, my dh doesn't. I used to have a rice cooker but gave it away because it didn't cook rice correctly (hello! sole function!) But I do quick cook whole wheat pasta which dh LOVES!

tammi said...

I have a friend who does a once-a-month BIG grocery shopping trip and then spends an entire weekend cooking to stock her freezer so that for the next four weeks, she's basically got everything but the perishable stuff ready to go. I'm not NEARLY that organized (and that's a gross understatement!), but I do like to plan ahead and pre-make as much as I can when we've got company coming for the weekend. You'd think this would have translated to everyday cooking as well. Hmmmm, must give that a try. Since pressure cookers scare me.