Saturday, September 6, 2008

No rain delay - running in the rain


When I heard that the remnants of hurricane Hannah would bring us rain, I saw it as an opportunity to try my first run in the rain. Although this was my first "rain run" it was not my first foul weather run. When I was in Boone this past Christmas, I enjoyed a 2 mile run on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the sleet and snow.

I ran the 10 miler course again today with the temperature in the mid 60s and a nice, steady rain. The first 4 miles were not bad at all, although I warmed up more slowly because normally I am warmed up 1 mile into a run and today it took 2 miles. I added only a visor to my regular running attire. I did make sure to wear my smartwool socks, knowing that wool wears better than cotton when wet. (I learned that lesson backpacking in downpours in the back country in Denali Park.) I also applied vaseline to known and predicted friction spots.

Things I learned today:
1) My rain soaked shorts "grew" longer after 5 miles.

2) My inner upper arm is a friction spot --I will remember next time as pain creates change.

3) I prefer running in the rain to any running on days with temps over 70 degrees.

4) Trying to avoid puddles is not worth the extra effort especially after 5 miles.

5) Running in the rain requires less water than hot days but more nutrition. Although I drank 2 liters of fluid (1 propel & 1 water) after finishing, I was jonesing for food after 6 miles.

6) I missed my MP3 player, but it was not as bad as I thought.

7) Running with a partner is a good practice in rain or shine.

8) I ran slower in the rain.

9) It is best not to run until there is at least some daylight.

9) I can do this!

1 comment:

Jason said...

Congrats on running in the rain. I love running in the rain (and actually any adverse condition). It makes me feel like I can conquer anything :)