Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Free your mind...

I have finally reached a point where I enjoy running. Getting past the first 1/2-1 mile warm-up is often a mental hurdle for me. After reading RUN RIGHT NOW by Joe Henderson, I felt much better knowing I was not alone in my distaste for the warm-up period. The 2-3 mile portions of my runs are my favorite. During that time my mind easily wanders away from any thought of pain, length of the run, or the like. Free your mind and the rest will follow. I know that most of my challenges in running are mental. The music I listen to on runs on my mp3 help a great deal. Some of my fav songs which help me conquer my mental battles are(sometimes it is the lyrics, sometimes the rhythm, and sometimes both):
Top 3 fav running songs
Ain't Nothing Wrong With That (Robert Randolph & The Family Band)
Free Your Mind (En Vogue)
I Will Run (Misty Edwards)

Other favs
Rhythm Nation (Janet Jackson)
Smooth Criminal (Alien Ant Farm)
Fight for your right (Beastie Boys)
List of Demands (Saul Williams) i know the topic
Switch (Wil Smith)


Yesterday, I hit my longest run of 7.5 miles in 1:21:54. At mile 6 my mp3 player ran out of power, but I had control of my mind and kept moving on with spirit even through the final 1/2 mile.

In mid to late July, I have been adding swimming as a different cross training activity several days each week. Today, I clocked 600 yards in 25 minutes with some concentration on arm work to balance out my running leg work.(I swim while my son takes swimming lessons.) I am hoping to get my bicycle repaired so that I can begin adding cycling/commuting to work for cross training.

A friend from Weight Watchers told me she read that every pound lost decreases 4 lbs of pressure off of your joints. I have a goal of being between 171-165 for the 10 miler. I have lost 2 lbs since setting this goal, only 6-12 lbs more to go!


No comments: