Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hmmm, maybe new shoes do make you run faster


July 19, 2008
Race day
Length: 5 miles
Finishing Time: 54:23
Mile Pace: 10:53

My dh says new shoes make you feel like you can run faster....this is is based upon his childhood memories. I wasn't sure about this theory, since on the first day I wore my new shoes I tried to hurdle a small chain barrier while running and landed on my face. But today in running a 5 mile race, I think his "new shoe" myth may have been realized.
I met one (and part of another) of my goals:
-Run the 5 mile race on July 19th in 58:00 or under
-Run a regular 10:30 mile in longer runs (Although my regular pace isn't yet this, I am so much closer than I was at my 11:15 pace.)

Still need to
---Figure out what nutrition works for me best on race mornings
I ate a banana and drank G2, 30-60 minutes prior to the race. I think the humidity was working against me today. Although the temperature was fairly decent, the humidity was high and as I pushed through at the end of the race and for 30 minutes after finishing, my stomach was queasy.
---Pace myself in the beginning of the race
Today, I ran the 1st half of the race faster than the last half.

Well, 70 days 'til the 10-miler. I may squeeze in one more race before that-who knows...but the training continues.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Congrats on the medal!